Social media is an ever-evolving world with new features, trends, and updates constantly being released seemingly every day – it’s nearly impossible to keep up with and predict what’s going to be the next big thing. Who knew when Instagram Stories were released in 2016 that they would be the success they are today? This displays the need for social media marketers to ensure they are up to date with the latest trends and statistics.
With that in mind, we’ve picked out 25 key statistics (five from each of the five biggest social networks according to Statista) that every social media marketer needs to be aware of in 2020.
1. As of quarter 3 of 2019, Facebook has 2.44 billion monthly active users according to Statista. When compared to quarter 3 of 2018, when the platform had 2.27 billion monthly active users, it’s easy to see that Facebook continues to dominate the social media world.
2. Based on worldwide Google searches during Q3 of 2019, Facebook is the top Google search query, showing that if people are online, it’s likely they’re on Facebook. This further cements the fact that Facebook should be part of your social strategy;it’s likely to be where your customers are.
3. Following from the previous statistic, Facebook is the third most visited site in the world, only being topped by Google and YouTube.
4. When taking a look at the usage stats, it further reinforces the popularity of the social network. 74% (just under three quarters!) of users log into Facebook at least once a day, with over half (51%) logging in more than once a day.
5. One statistic that did surprise me is the fact that 65% of Facebook users are under the age of 35. Despite the rise of platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok, Facebook still draws the attention of a large group of young adults.
6. As per stat three above, YouTube is the second most visited page online and the most visited social platform. I actually found this quite surprising due to the fact YouTube has fewer active monthly users than Facebook.
7. YouTube is available in 80 different languages, which covers 95% of the total Internet population, as a comparison, Facebook is only available in 43 languages.
8. The number of channels with over 1 million subscribers has grown by over 65% when compared to the previous year. This highlights the audience available to influencers and creators utilising the platform.
9. Could 2020 finally be the year of the mobile? Well for YouTube it certainly seems to be the case as 70% of YouTube watch time comes from mobile devices.
10. 70% of what users watch on YouTube is determined by the platform’s recommendation algorithm. From a marketing perspective, this further highlights the importance of understanding the platform you are using.
11. Instagram has over 1 billion monthly active users, a significant increase of over 43% compared to the 700 million monthly users the platform had at the start of 2017.
12. Stories are the biggest success to come from Instagram, a feature that is now available widely across social sites. As of early 2019, Instagram stories had over 500 million daily active users, a figure that is only going to have increased.
13. When looking at utilising Instagram from a business perspective it’s important to understand how users interact with brands on the platform. According to Facebook, 83% of users surveyed have discovered new products or services via Instagram, further proving the importance of Instagram as part of a social media marketing strategy.
14. Following on from the previous point, 200 million Instagram users will visit at least one business profile per day. This just further shows that Instagram users are actively engaging with different brands on the platform.
15. America is the largest audience on Instagram (110 million) however, it is not a majority when compared to the total user base. 89% of all Instagram users are outside of the US.
16. Since its launch in September 2016 TikTok has grown an audience that includes 500 million active users across the globe. This has catapulted TikTok to the 9th largest social media network ahead of the likes of Twitter and Snapchat.
17. TikTok has had over 1.5 billion downloads on the App Store and Google Play, another figure that proves it is one of the most popular apps. In 2018 alone the app was downloaded over 655 millions times!
18. TikTok has become the most popular with younger audiences with 41% of users being between the age of 16 and 24. The popularity with younger users is likely the main reason behind the success of the platform.
19. Not only has TikTok gained a huge user base, but it’s also gained a very active one with the average user spending 52 minutes a day on the app. This covers everything from watching and engaging with other users to creating and uploading their own content.
20. In addition to the above statistics, 90% of all TikTok users use the app on a daily basis, further displaying how active their users are.
21. As of 2019 Q1, Twitter has 330 million monthly active users and 145 million daily active users. While it doesn’t boast figures like Facebook and Instagram, Twitter’s user base has continued to grow consistently year on year.
22. Twitter is the platform to go to for discovery with 79% of Twitter users using the platform to discover what’s new.
23. When taking a closer look at those who use Twitter, the majority (66%) are male. Understanding the demographics, including gender, of those who use social platforms can be crucial for brands when making a decision about which to use.
24. As a platform, Twitter is typically used for less time per session (3.39 minutes) compared to the likes of Facebook and TikTok, which fits with it being the platform that has become a go-to source of quick news for many users.
25. From a B2B marketing perspective, Twitter is one of the most popular social media platforms. 67% of all B2B businesses are using Twitter as part of a wider digital marketing strategy – if you aren’t using it, you might be at a disadvantage as it’s likely your competitors are.
There’s a world of figures and statistics that can be used to help improve your social media marketing strategy. Due to the fast-paced nature of the industry, it can be hard to keep up to date with the latest figures, however, armed with the above statistics you should be in a good place to start.